Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 01:16:03 -0500

> Wendy,
>
> After using it virtually daily for about 2 years, I'm confident in
> saying that it's a fantastic lens.  Compared to the 35 Summicron ASPH
> it has more moderate contrast (actually a good thing for b/w in my
> experience), slightly less resolution, slightly more depth of field at
> a given aperture, and a slower transition to out of focus.  With the
> famous Zeiss coatings it takes effort to get it to flare noticeably.
> Out of focus areas are very pleasant (if that's your thing).  I had no
> complaints whatsoever.  And there is something special about the Zeiss
> color rendering -- just delicious colors.  Every time I'd use it with
> color I'd mutter to myself about how I needed to shoot more color film
> with that lens.    (In case it's of interest, my flickr set with the
> Biogon is at:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/shudaizi/sets/72157606550611842/show/
>   )
>
> There are two things though that you might want to be aware of: (a)
> Zeiss lenses sometimes develop a "wobble", which is easily fixed by
> tightening the lens retaining ring (mine never had this problem,
> despite heavy use, but it has happened to enough Zeiss users that it
> qualifies as a "known issue") and (b) when I borrowed an M8 for a few
> weeks I found that at f/2 the Biogon would produce color fringing on
> high contrast edges.  I didn't do any systematic testing, but if
> memory serves it was gone at f/2.8.  Haven't seen this on film at all,
> so only an issue if one shoots digital.
>
> Other small considerations are that it has no focus tab, but just a
> small bump (whether that's a good or bad thing is a matter of personal
> taste of course); is fatter and longer than Summicrons (but not
> horribly so); the hood (which isn't really needed for flare control
> but only for physical protection) is a nice, sturdy bayonet mount; and
> it has 1/3 click stops for aperture instead of the usual 1/2 (again,
> not a big deal though you may find that you have to remind yourself at
> first that it's 3 clicks per stop).
>
> There are some that will argue that it's the greatest 35mm ever; I'm
> not quite that partisan about it (or any other lens for that matter),
> but it's definitely a world class lens.  I doubt you'd be disappointed
> with it.
>
> Best,
>
> Kevin
>
> =============
> Only connect.
> =============
> Modern Chinese History Ph.D. candidate
> at University of California, Berkeley
>
> my photography:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/shudaizi/
>
> bamboozld at gmail.com
>

> On Feb 26, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Wendy Thurman wrote:
>
>> I'm not necessarily in the lens market; I feel I should stick with
>> the 50
>> lux I have as I learn the Leica system.  One of these days I'll want/
>> need a
> [...]

Welcome to the LUG Kevin, the ZM Biogon 35 a very nice lens made by the very
nice largest lens company in the world located in Japan.
Its a ZM lens we refer to on the LUG.
It cost a thousand dollars.
A Summicron cost three thousand dollars.
You want to compare them straight across you think that's wise?
The ZM lenses are made in the same faculty that twenty other major brand
named lenes are made. Within viewing distance of each other.
Your post is full of Zeiss lenses are this and  Zeiss lenses  are that.
A Zeiss lens cost three thousand or more dollars and are made in Germany
with high tolerances amazingly high quality control and expensive choice
glass types. For a hundred years.
I own a half dozen for my Hasselblad system.
The feel, look and quality has no resemblance at all to the nifty cheep
stuff Cosina makes for them in Japan - with the Zeiss name on it.
You want to call them a Zeiss lens you're fooling nobody but yourself.
In another time warp dimension can you compare something straight across
which cost a three times difference. Is made to way less tolerances. Well
less quality glasses. Designed for an entirely different market.
You want to save money?
Get a CV or ZM lens for your Leica.
You want a "world glass optic" you have to pay some real Leica money for it.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from taniel.dan at gmail.com (Daniel Tan) ([Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM)
Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest) ([Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM)