Subject: [Leica] more on the GF-1, the finder, and a portrait of an artist
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:58:17 -0800

Now I get to jump in and answer a question directed at Dick :-).

Which manual focus lens you use in conjunction
with the 20 depends of course on what you have
and what you like.

The lens i use most commonly is the 50 ASPH. It's
not too big, and makes a great portrait lens on
the GF1. After that are lenses like the 35/1.4 CV
which is fairly compact and fast, and the 75/1.4
when I want reach and speed, but in that case it
starts becoming 'attaching the camera to the
lens' rather than the other way around.

The minifinder is still available, but now at
$295 from Steven Gandy. A real 40mm finder
(larger and with a plastic housing is available
from him for $128. That one makes more sense at
present. In any case, he is probably the best
source for new finders.

The 20 gets used almost always in autofocus.
Autofocus on the GF1 works well and is quite
configurable. I usually leave it on face
recognition because if there is a face in the
picture, that's usually what I want to focus on.
If there is no face, it defaults to the
multi-point, which is also usually OK for the typ
of shots I take with this camera/lens. Part of
what makes this work is that the lens is a 20mm,
and dof is quite deep. I rarely have focus
problems, even though I usually have the camera
set on aperture priority at f/2. On my Canon
5DII, on the other hand, I always have the focus
set at the center point only, and then I focus
and recompose.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design