Subject: [Leica] more on the GF-1, the finder, and a portrait of an artist
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 11:44:46 -0500

I'm finding the GF-1 with the 20mm f 1.7 an awesome ... really, substitute
for what I used to use my Leica for. Though it gets noisy at 400 asa, the
lens is fast enough and sharp enough that I'm finding it not difficult to
shoot in relatively low light situations at 100 or 200 ASA and for
on-the-fly portraits, it's been fabulous -- two photos of the painter John
Ennis (www.johnennis.com)

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/john-ennis-1.jpg
http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/john-ennis-2.jpg

I really like having JUST A CAMERA in my _pocket_. It seems when I leave the
house with the Leica d700 I'm always thinking "well, I need to take the 85
1.8 because it's an awesome lens. but it's too telephoto for a lot of stuff,
so i'd better take a mid range zoom. Oh, and heck, the room might be
crowded, so I'd better bring the fisheye, cause it's small and all. Heck, if
I'm bringing that I should bring a flash, and I can't bring the flash
without the cable, because on camera flash blows......" and now my back
hurts.

The electronic viewfinder (i wanted to do a macro through the lens but it's
not in the cards) isn't a gimic -- its really useful. I MUCH MUCH MUCH
prefer shooting through a viewfinder to using the screen on the back of the
camera, i'd consider the finder part of the camera (i.e. don't get one
without the other). it's a low resolution LCD but it's fine for composing,
you know what the scene looks like (if you forget, just open your other
eye). i don't think an optical finder will work nearly as well, because you
have your exposure and FOCUS info in the electronic finder as well and you
needs that. you can also change the angle of the finder and look straight
down into it if you'd like, useful for shooting straight up or around
corners (you can totally hold the camera around a corner and look through
the finder -- i don't know why you would, but you can).

it's surprisingly loud. the shutter goes off with a "CLICK" you can feel,
seriously, it's like a tiny mousetrap went off inside the camera. by default
focus is also acknowledged by a chirp (you can turn off sounds).

and it's FAST, like a lot faster than i can wind and shoot a leica (you can
probably kick it's butt with a rapidwinder, but you won't accidentally stab
yourself in the leg with this one. This really is the digital LikaLeica I've
been waiting for.  It just needs a couple of stickers.

I am totally listening to Led Zeppelin IV right now.

kc

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] more on the GF-1, the finder, and a portrait of an artist)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] more on the GF-1, the finder, and a portrait of an artist)