Subject: [Leica] LTM windfall
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Feb 26 21:01:41 2009

Ken

Welcome to the windfall.  Several points.

Mechanical cameras get lazy when allowed to sleep
for decades.  Shucks, I am lazy all the time but
am worse when I get to sleep a full 12 or 14
hours.  Exercise the cameras for a day.  Get a
riveting long movie to watch -- say, go to your
local library and check out DOCTOR
ZHIVAGO.  Then, just keep advancing the camera
and snapping the shutter while you observe
Zhivago sink into destruction.  Set it on 1/30"
at first but gradually move the speeds around
from top to bottom.  In 90% of the cases, that
will cure the sloth mode problem.  No need for a
CLA unless the shimming under the lens mount has
gotten rotten, and that is VERY rare though, to
be fair, it did happen on my IIIc.

The lenses?   If you cannot clean them, there is
only one place to send them.  John Van Stelten at
Focal Point.  Feel free to use my name:  I have
hawked his virtues long and hard for more than
twenty years, and I will continue to do
so.  Whenever I have a lens which needs service,
poof!  it is off to Colorado.  John is backlogged
with work but his work is impeccable.  (If I were
as smart as Mark Rabiner, I'd recall the Latin
for, "forgive me, Lord, for I have sinned", as
that ends with "peccavi" but, alas, it is late
and my wife and I spent the evening watching
WITCHBLADE episodes, so I will give that a pass,
albeit I do have an MA in Classical Languages and should know better!)

I very rarely look at the pictures folks post and
whether you post or not is your own
business.  What is of concern to me is that the
cameras and lenses get used.  These were built to
last for centuries and are capable of grand
pictures today.  I would urge you to so use
them.  Putting them on a shelf or selling them to a collector would be a sin.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from grdalton at hotmail.com (Gary Dalton) ([Leica] LTM windfall: Follow-up Question)