Subject: [Leica] Cuba?
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan)
Date: Sat Jan 3 22:02:07 2009

I am sure that health care in Cuba is far better than in many of the
places Tina has visited, like Honduras or Russia. And I think it is
good for as many US citizens as possible to go there to undermine the
stupid embargo (and no, I am no supporter of Fidel, just cannot see
exactly how Cuba threatens US security). The only reason I have not
been to Cuba is that my wife's family lives in Puerto Rico, and the
two islands are sufficiently similar that once you have been to one,
you have (almost) been to the other.

Nathan

On 04/01/2009, at 3:08, Ken Carney wrote:

> Tina,
>
> Ever since I bought Walker Evans' book, Havana 1933 (from memory
> now) I have
> wanted to go.  But our limited research has shown problems for U.S.
> citizens, i.e, you have to go to Cancun or somewhere and "go dark"
> for a
> while you're in Cuba.  Then there is the problem of health care or
> whatever
> problems may arise while you are there, i.e., without consulate
> protection.
>> From what I have read lately, with the new administration these
>> problems may
> be lifted to some degree.  What do you think about Russia et al.?
> I am
> looking at two prized Martha Casanave photos on the wall from
> Kiev.  This
> was before 1990 and the KGB had damaged her Polaroid 35mm processor,
> thinking it was a spy device of some kind..but I think that is in
> the past
> so far.  I have a number of clients in Russia and FSU states now,
> and so
> far, so good. Just a thought.
>
> Ken

Nathan Wajsman