Subject: [Leica] Cuba?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sat Jan 3 18:08:15 2009

Tina,

Ever since I bought Walker Evans' book, Havana 1933 (from memory now) I have
wanted to go.  But our limited research has shown problems for U.S.
citizens, i.e, you have to go to Cancun or somewhere and "go dark" for a
while you're in Cuba.  Then there is the problem of health care or whatever
problems may arise while you are there, i.e., without consulate protection.
>From what I have read lately, with the new administration these problems may
be lifted to some degree.  What do you think about Russia et al.?  I am
looking at two prized Martha Casanave photos on the wall from Kiev.  This
was before 1990 and the KGB had damaged her Polaroid 35mm processor,
thinking it was a spy device of some kind..but I think that is in the past
so far.  I have a number of clients in Russia and FSU states now, and so
far, so good. Just a thought.

Ken