Subject: [Leica] Re: Third world Leica
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Dec 20 09:57:21 2008

Aren't a lot of the sub-assemblies in Leicas still made in Portugal?
Mind you, Portugal is probably not very much cheaper for labour than
Germany any more.
Frank

On 20 Dec, 2008, at 00:52, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2008, at 3:04 PM, A. Lal wrote:
>
>> Alternatively, the current Leica company could set up its own
>> manufacturing
>> facilities in a low-cost country, while maintaining current QC
>> standards.
>>
>> As I see it, Leica may be trying to follow the example the Swiss
>> watch
>> industry which has not been price sensitive in the recent past. I
>> do not
>> believe this strategy will work. Leica need to find a way to reduce
>> prices
>> significantly while retaining quality.

>>> industry. Their best bet might be to ask for a bailout or  bridge
>>> loan
>>> from the German government and, if they can't return to