Subject: [Leica] Re: Third world Leica
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Dec 19 16:53:04 2008

On Dec 19, 2008, at 3:04 PM, A. Lal wrote:

> Alternatively, the current Leica company could set up its own
> manufacturing
> facilities in a low-cost country, while maintaining current QC
> standards.
>
> As I see it, Leica may be trying to follow the example the Swiss watch
> industry which has not been price sensitive in the recent past. I
> do not
> believe this strategy will work. Leica need to find a way to reduce
> prices
> significantly while retaining quality.

An interesting point. My Olympus E-Volt 500 DSLR was made in China
and is up to the high standards of film Olympii made in Japan. The
cost in constant dollars is about half that of the film model. There
are some production shortcuts to be sure. The body is largely
polycarbonate plastic although there is a metal frame inside. Leica
could do the same, and in fact, has supported non-German production
in the past. The CL was made in Japan, some Leica SLRs were made in
Portugal, and lenses and Leica LTMs were made in Canada. How much of
a stretch would it be to have a Leica made in Singapore, Mexico or
Taiwan? OK, so it wouldn't be a German Leica. Big deal. As long as it
takes good pictures and accepts Leica lenses, I'll be satisfied. To
my mind Leica started its deviation from the true faith when they
started making SLRs. Leica's only redeeming virtue was the Leica
glass. And the lenses can be used on other cameras including the
Minolta CLs, the RD-1 and the Bessas. Better act fast Leica. The much
less expensive Panasonic 4/3 G-1 is on your tail. Better a Leica in
production than a Leica in memory, even if die hards insist that it
not a true "Leica."

What is the German equivalent of Chapter 11?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re: Third world Leica)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Re: Third world Leica)