Subject: [Leica] un-believable
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sat Dec 20 07:18:02 2008

As usual, Henning has it exactly right. Andreas Kaufmann essentially owns
Leica - I am one of the residual miniscules! - and calls the shots. Having
spent some time with him at LHSA meetings discussing Leica Camera, the
market and the Company's future, I am persuaded that he has identified the
one market niche that he believes can lead to long-term success for the
Company and is utterly dedicated to pursuing exactly the strategy
Henning mentions. And to making the investments required to make it happen.

Think of the financial resources that were needed to bring out the M8, then
within 2 years the upgrades for the M8.2, while simultaneously designing the
phenomenal S2 and its totally new line of lenses and training factory
personnel to manufacture these world-class products to traditional Leica
standards. He knows the market for both is small, in fact, infinitesmal when
compared with Canon,  Nikon, etc. and so must price them at a level that
only the most serious professional photographers who need that level of
quality and features can afford.

George, your idea ain't bad: one camera, one lens, but the absolute best.
Last evening, for the first time I took a look at the MTF charts for the S2
lens line. I've never seen anything like them, simply unbelievable.

Seth

-30-