Subject: [Leica] M8 upgrade - 90 Cron APO focusing problems now Question????
From: leica at web-options.com (Bob W)
Date: Sat Dec 13 11:37:03 2008

I don't know, but perhaps it's something to do with chromatic aberration,
and the different ways in which film and sensors handle it. In general
lenses cannot focus all wavelengths of light at the same plane on a surface,
so a lot of effort in lens design goes into correcting for this, including
the use of such things as achromatic elements. Different lenses use
different ways of correcting for these aberrations. Film and digital sensors
have react to and handle light differently. The lenses were designed for
film, which probably masks some of the inaccuracies that remain in the lens.
This could explain why digital sensors respond differently to different
lenses.

Bob