Subject: [Leica] Are Leica lenses muliticoated?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Nov 24 08:12:51 2008

>Henning I always respect your expertise and experience. I don't understand
>how you can achieve outstanding resolution without good contrast, nor
>outstanding contrast without much resolution. I was thinking of
>micro-contrast especially as part of achieving theoretical high resolution.
>'Flare' that I would understand as veiling glare must certainly be a factor
>in 'glow'. I would add aberration there. Personally I haven't seen anything
>on my M8 that exceeded the sensor's dynamic range when shooting DNG's with
>all modern, contrasty Leica lenses. I can make the images clip at both ends
>of course in smaller colour spaces on conversion. I don't doubt what you say
>there, only that it hasn't been a problem for me with my camera and amateur
>use.
>

>Cheers
>Geoff

Hi Geoff; resolution is, once above a very minimal contrast level is
quite independent of contrast. Some of the highest resolution lenses
ever made have relatively low contrast but these are special purpose
repro lenses. The trick for photographic lenses is to achieve a
reasonable balance of resolution and contrast so the subjective
perception, to the limits of the sensor (film) is one of 'sharpness'.

Aberrations certainly can cause various other aspects of an 'old'
look as old lenses had more of them. Spherical aberration in
particular can be very pleasant, whereas over-corrected spherical
aberration can be very nasty, as seen  particularly in some Nikkors
of the mid-60's and 70's. Sharp but very jarring bokeh. Coma and
astigmatism can be relatively benign and pleasant on the right
subjects as long as most of the significant content is near the
center. Colour aberrations tend to be less benign, and just degrade
the image.

--

Message from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Are Leica lenses muliticoated?)
Message from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Are Leica lenses muliticoated?)