Subject: [Leica] Are Leica lenses muliticoated?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Nov 23 20:14:59 2008

You need good contrast along with good resolution to achieve
'sharpness', ie, a perception of 'good resolution'.

You don't need a lot of contrast to achieve outstanding resolution,
nor do you need much resolution to achieve outstanding contrast.

The 'softness' or 'glow' or 'glamour' that is ascribed to older
lenses is a combination of low contrast and flare, both things that
can be controlled by using correct coatings, multi-coatings or
whatever for the glass types and curvatures of lenses. The latter
also plays a part.

You can have low contrast without a lot of flare, but it's not easy.
It's often proposed that to achieve a very high effective dynamic
range a low contrast lens is desirable, but that often leads to
flare, which tends to be localized and cannot be dealt with easily.
Therefore, a lens that is chosen for its low contrast characteristics
like the DR Summicron often causes problems due to flare. Of course,
when the stars align the results can be outstanding, but a low
contrast lens is not a panacea for dealing with large dynamic ranges.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the earliest multi-layer
coated lens I know of is the 35/1.4 Summilux introduced around 1960;
I'm sure there were ealier examples but this lens was one of the very
first commercially produced lenses using this technology. Once
designers were able to take advantage of reducing the reflectance and
therefore scatter of specific spectral bands, it opened up a huge
range of possibilities, especially in marketing :-). Whether one uses
3, 7 or 20 layers is a bit like whether your razor has 2, 3, or 5
cutting blades. Past a certain point it's mostly marketing,
especially if your lens is for general photographic use under
uncontrolled conditions.

Coatings for controlled conditions can be optimized to a much greater
degree; lenses for reproduction, especially three colour or even more
so monospectral reproduction could have highly optimized coatings
that required only a few layers, with slightly different thicknesses
varying from the center to the edges.

If you know a lens well, you can use it's flare characteristics to
your advantage, in particular to achieve an 'older' look, but if what
you're mainly concerned with is reducing contrast, there are usually
other ways of achieving that that are more controllable.

I've had a lot of different lenses over the last 50 years, and still
have quite a few. Among the latter are still a few low contrast
lenses and a couple that have very specific flare characteristics,
but on the whole I prefer lenses that medium to medium-high in
contrast with as little flare as possible. Those are the easiest to
work with. If I wish, I can create most types of flare after I take
the picture. I can't remove it easily if it's in the negative or
digital file if at all.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design