Subject: [Leica] "Life" Magazine photo archive hosted by Google
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Nov 19 05:49:09 2008

Nice spin by the Mercury News. In reality Paco Galanes sits in the small
corner of a cavernous basement, flanked by boxes and boxes covered in
dust. As he basks in the faint glow of a computer monitor he ponders
what kind of neg holder is needed for an 11x14 glass plate. Occasionally
the hum of a Nikon Coolscan is interrupted by some muffled swearing over
the lack of user friendliness in the Vuescan UI. It's been a week
already. Only 9,999,372 scans to go. "Fascinating, my ass," he murmurs,
as he swabs another strip of negatives with solvent cleaner.

>>The San Jose Mercury News reports this:

"Google releases photos of Life from morgue: Here's good news for
anyone who appreciates the power of a still image. Google is in the
process of putting the entire photographic archives of Life magazine
online. That's about 10 million photos, 97 percent of which have never
been seen by the public. Most, says Google engineer Paco Galanes "have
been sitting in dusty archives in the form of negatives, slides,
glass plates, etchings, and prints. We're digitizing them so that
everyone can easily experience these fascinating moments in time.">>