Subject: [Leica] "Life" Magazine photo archive hosted by Google
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Nov 18 16:46:00 2008

The San Jose Mercury News reports this:

"Google releases photos of Life from morgue: Here's good news for
anyone who appreciates the power of a still image. Google is in the
process of putting the entire photographic archives of Life magazine
online. That's about 10 million photos, 97 percent of which have never
been seen by the public. Most, says Google engineer Paco Galanes,
"have been sitting in dusty archives in the form of negatives, slides,
glass plates, etchings, and prints. We're digitizing them so that
everyone can easily experience these fascinating moments in time."
About 20 percent of the collection is online now, accessible both in a
special area and in normal image search results, with the rest to
follow in the next few months. The images will be free to use for
"personal and research purposes" but will be digitally watermarked to
prevent unauthorized or unlicensed commercial uses. "Fine art
photographic prints" are available for a price. "