Subject: [Leica] Is Lightroom 2.0 Really Shipping?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Aug 18 09:51:47 2008

I've used Lightroom since it came out (just as I have Photoshop), and
I wouldn't be without it.

But I did have some issues on one computer. It would crash fairly
regularly (about once every 20 hours of use, as far as I could tell),
and I tracked the problem down to bad RAM. I didn't have any issues
with other software, but I did a thorough (5 day) memory test on my
machine and god what I needed to know. I bought some new RAM and
since then it has not crashed again. This was a Quad G5 box.
Lightroom will use the addressable portion of your RAM thoroughly.

Daniel's symptons are not the same as I had, but it certainly seems
as if his laptop has some hardware/software issue that LR runs into.

Photoshop and LR are equally stable on my computers, and that's very stable.

In my estimation Photoshop makes more compromises with respect to
image quality than Lightroom, and that is why Photoshop is only used
at the end for the specific things it does better. The fact that when
you open a file in Photoshop you are then making changes to that
(opened) file at each step as opposed to Lightroom where you are
creating a series of instructions that only get applied at the time
of exporting makes a difference if a number of different things have
to get done to a file. The LR way is quite definitely theoretically
better, and it can be demonstrated even though it might take some
extreme files. In studio situations it would be almost impossible to
see any difference.

In either case, the original file is not changed, but file used in
the intermediate stages has been degraded by Photoshop but not by
Lightroom.

When I have an especially low contrast image that needs fairly
drastic contrast enhancements to be useable, and then local contrast,
dodging, gradations and other things have to be applied, the
Photoshop file turns out to be rougher than the LR file, as more
information got thrown away in the intermediate stages.

For sharpening, I agree that it has to be done after everything else,
and especially re-sizing. When I'm ready to print and know the size
of the output, and type of output, I switch to editing the file from
LR to CS3, and then resize and use Photokit sharpener for final
output. If I want to print a different size, I got back to Lightroom
and go through the same process for the different size or output type.