Subject: [Leica] Is Lightroom 2.0 Really Shipping?
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Aug 16 22:46:50 2008

I find it puzzling to follow this discussion. Daniel, there must be
something strange with your setup if LR makes your computer crash. I
have used LR from version 1.0 on both a PC and a Mac, and it has NEVER
given me any problem on either platform.

I keep hearing that I need both LR and Photoshop, but frankly I hardly
ever open Photoshop, maybe once every quarter. I did upgrade to CS3
only because I could get the upgrade for 62 EUR ($99) so I thought,
what the heck. Once in a blue moon I have a scanned film image that
needs a lot of spotting, and then PS is a bit better than LR.

As for LR2 being a totally different program than LR 1.4, I do not
agree with Tina. I installed it at the end of July, in about 10
minutes my catalogue with 7500 images was converted, and the look and
feel is pretty much the same, with some subtle changes, mostly for the
better. I have just finished a project to get rid of a big stack of
CDs which I had used to archive film scans (TIFF files) by copying
them onto a dedicated hard drive. I then created a separate catalog
for them in LR and imported about 4500 images. Extremely fast, and for
the first time ever I have all my film scans in one place and well
organized. LR handles the images very fast, and these are TIFFs
ranging in size from 30 MB to well over 100 MB (in the case of MF
scans at highest resolution).

If I could only have one piece of photo-related software, LR would
definitely be it.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain