Subject: [Leica] Is Lightroom 2.0 Really Shipping?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Aug 18 11:31:43 2008

Frank, it's not that Elements or PS doesn't save the original file,
but rather that the file you are working on (which is not the
original) gradually degrades with multiple editing changes.
Adjustment Layers in Photoshop works non-destructively, but the
regular edits destroy data sequentially. This is significant if you
don't do your edits in the optimum order, and essentially throw away
data that is actually needed in subsequent steps.

You need a very deep understanding of Photoshop to know what the best
order is for a 50 step edit. Even so, the product of one edit can
compromise the next.

Lightroom gathers the editing information into one set of
instructions, and applies those instructions in the optimum order,
and often together into one final, optimized edit, which is the file
you export or print. If you edit things in the 'wrong' order,
Lightroom doesn't punish you. You can crop first, change exposure,
change contrast, burn and dodge, and then go back and 're-crop' using
more of the original. Photoshop can't do that; you have to go back to
the original file and start the whole process again. This is but one
example.