Subject: [Leica] Experience with Apple?
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed Aug 6 06:36:28 2008

But seriously what works for a person generally starts with what their
familiar with, so any transition can be disturbing.   As one learns new
equipment it must be conspicuous, but, as one gets to know it, it should
disappear into the background and only become conspicuous when not working
correctly.  In my experience with both Macs and DOS then Windows, both were
particularly conspicuous at times due to my ability to cope and also nicely
transparent.  I found coping with Mac problems difficult but felt I
understood the architecture and thus could solve problems easier with a
book in hand then DOS/Window problems.  These days I don't mess with either
platform and I expect the same in return!  Currently I feel the Mac
platform is the least conspicuous and has the ability to run Windows with
equal invisibility so there isn't really too much of a decision here IMHO.
Chris

At 08:06 AM 8/6/2008, you wrote:
>What Brian said.
>
>I use to be an operating system architect, meaning I designed
>operating systems for a living. Mac OS X (Unix) is more reliable than
>Windows, the user interface is more consistent and the tools I need
>are available.
>
>Linux takes too much messing around with. Windows requires too much
>black magic. Neither has a really good user interface.
>
>Ultimately though it is what works for *you* that matters the most..
>
>Regards,
>Spencer
>
>On Aug 5, 2008, at 22:54, Brian Reid wrote:
>
>>I use computers to edit and store photographs, documents, email, and
>>vector diagrams, and to analyze and store large amounts of data. I
>>do not do gaming, video, audio, or CAD.
>>
>>I can make any computer do what I want. I can get my work done with
>>whatever computer is in front of me. I've used extensively Macs and
>>PCs and Linux and FreeBSD and horrible old things that you don't
>>want to know about.
>>
>>I choose to use Macs when I have a choice, not because they are
>>"better", but because I spend far less time messing with them and
>>more time using them. I have no explanation for why this is true,
>>but for me, it is true.

Chris Saganich, M.S.
Senior Physicist, Office of Health Physics
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018@med.cornell.edu
http://intranet.med.cornell.edu/research/health_phys/
Ph. 212.746.6964