Subject: [Leica] IMG: M8 BW conversion
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Apr 23 01:10:12 2008

Steve, I must respectfully disagree. Certainly you may make wonderful
photographs with or without filters. You have shown many great photos here
by whatever method too. I do not regard the UV/IR filter as significant at
all for my shot that started this thread. Not so the extremely pleasing (for
me) and dramatic effect of a polarizer in the previous post.
However, you may well produce fine photos using jpeg fine- filter-no filter
as your vehicle. That's great, good for you. But a well exposed Raw file
offers great flexibility and control. It is unquestionably superior as the
starting point for your final picture. Really. Any other choice and you have
thrown away a very large amount of information at the outset. Many times
more than any filter might have affected the captured tones and in fact
those filters may help you capture more of the information that you want,
not be detrimental. However I know that you shun such technical discussion
and analysis. Otherwise I could recommend a superb book that discusses it in
detail with clarity. My prescription for you: spend the money on ink and
paper instead ;-)For me, the more I understand, the more it helps me.
Discovering the power of Raw has been an absolute revelation for me.
Keep sharing pictures.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e