Subject: [Leica] IMG: M8 BW conversion
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Apr 23 00:30:30 2008

Hi Bob, I think that it is a discussion worthy of a thread. As to the basic
properties of a UV filter, I thought that this was well recognized to reduce
the appearance of haze or a blue cast in cloud, sky and landscape
photography. Someone will perhaps point out that it is not the correct tool
for that particular function and technically that ought to be a skylight for
the blue cast, I guess. I don't consider that it was significant at all that
the filter was in place for this shot, except perhaps to start with the most
neutral colour before the conversion. Seeking after technical process
perfection in the classical amateur photographer vein. I mentioned it only
as a comparison to the (polarised) previous cloud shot.
Actually I shot some more today and there is an amusing tale associated with
that.  News at eleven to follow on that particular appalling event! As you
mentioned people seem to have emotive positions on routinely leaving a
filter in place for its mechanical protection of the front element. We
shan't stir that particular pot!
For myself, while I actually never had filters on any of my Leica glass with
the M7 except for a specific effect, I now leave the UV/IR on all of them
all of the time. I like lens hoods anyhow and they have a bonus of a little
mechanical protection too. I see no practical effects except of course when
the Magenta Fairy might otherwise have cast her evil spell on people stuff.
I have enough pics of wife and children dressed in purple already. The only
inconvenience is where only one of my lenses is coded and this means
changing the menu selection for the lens detection if I am being particular.

Again, I regard the practice of capturing the largest number on tonal values
in the original Raw file as vastly more important. Maybe that is another
discussion.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e