Subject: [Leica] Re: M8-not ready for Prime Time (a long and sorrowful lament)
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Sun May 6 21:44:05 2007

Nice try, Doug, but the question I was countering was this:

Larry sez:
But why so many complaints about a new digital camera when older
Leicas are cherished for their reliability.

On 5/6/07, Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > If they are so reliable,  why does DAG, Sherry,Ken Ruth, and  Leica
> > have
> > such a backlog?
>
> 1) After a few decades any camera will need some service, even if
> only a CLA.  There are 50 decades of M cameras and 40 decades of
> Leicaflex and R cameras in use.

Some of the cameras I've sent to DAG or Sherry for faults were decades old,
true.  As I pointed out the M6 went for Passport, but apparently the
passport got revoked, because the counter failed. again. Dag fixed it,  (Not
decades old.)

We have a query on the list right now about an M6ttl meter.

2) DAG tells me there are fewer independent camera repair shops now
> so the work that the other shops used to do is now being sent to
> those who are still in business - the superstars like DAG, sherry,
> Ken Ruth, etc.

True

3) It may also be that people who are committed to film want to be
> sure their cameras are put back in to top condition while the
> superstar repair services are still available.

Ah, I gotta differ with you on this one my friend.  The turn-around  for
these superstars  has  been  weeks and weeks for years.  I've used  all
three, and love them all for their specialties, but I gotta tell you, only
DAG has turned something around really fast for me, and that was because I
had an assignment that I had to have the camera for. (smooch Don)