Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 rebuttal
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Mon May 7 06:29:27 2007

I did not realize this was a debate, but anyhow.

On 5/6/07, Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin@optonline.net> wrote:

> Of course the estimate of the M8 failure rate at 6% is a guess. But
> it is irrelevant to my argument.

You posed that as key.

>  My disappointment was that a camera
> presumed to be the acme of German optical/electronic engineering
> would have a malfunction rate sufficient to evoke comments in many
> Leicaphile web sites.

That's true, and  as I pointed out, there has been much disgruntlement on
every change that Leica has made, including the move to the M mount.  Those
commenting are largely bystanders.

Five thousand bucks is a lot to spend for a
> camera body. It's a real test of faith.

It's not a test of faith, it is a cost of admission.  It allows me to use
lenses that I want to use.  It gives me control of my camera back.  I live
in a town (and an era) where good film processing is vanishing fast.  My
one  M8 substitutes for two M7's that I kept fast film in one and slow in
another.  My M8 allows me to use my 35mm  Summicron  in sunlight at F2,
something I have never been able to do before.  My M8 keeps me from having
to scan hundreds of personal negatives a week, in addition to the hundreds
of images I have to scan for my job.

Apparently I'm not a true
> believer. All the little M8 problems may well be corrected in a year
> or so. But they should not have existed in the first place.

 This is probably true, but you know, the many beta testers did not discern
many of these problems, and some of them are simply quirks, that are user
preferences.  It is interesting that there are articles that tell you how to
remove the IR cut-off filters from Nikons and Canons.  I have experienced  a
few instances of the dreaded magenta, and even posted them, and received no
adverse comment.

As far as the backlog of cameras at DAG, Ken Ruth and Sherry Krauter,
> most of those old Leicas are in for CLAs or repair of normal wear
> after many years of use.

Not in my case.  The oldest camera I ever sent to DAG was an M5, and it
wasn't for normal wear.

The M8 is less than a year old and the rate
> of complaints on the LUG is far greater than those posted for the M7
> or M6.

Pulling statistics out of the air again.  I  (again) point out that the
lion's share of gripes are arriving from people who don't use the camera.

The bitching about the M5 was for its unLeica like
> characteristics.

Yeah, and until the Japanese collectors saw it as a cool camera,  it never
caught on.  I'd guess that the majority of the bitchers had never owned an
M5.  It's really a breakthrough camera.

Sherry Krauter .... She lubed
> them and replaced a worn shutter curtain in one, touched up the
> vulcanite and replaced the film speed reminder disc on the back of
> the other. No other repairs were necessary.

My experience is similar, except for my M6.

> Each will sell on the used market for more than I paid new. I know
> the real value of money is far different than in the 50s but I have
> had many years of use of the cameras.

That's an often-expressed platitude, but after adjustment for inflation,
selling price is usually far less than purchase, though Leica beats most
badges.  The value is in the using, not in the resale value.  That's why I
sell cameras I am not using, user cameras do not  appreciate.

I certainly wish Leica well and I hope the company makes a successful
> transition to the digital age. But I would be very surprised if the
> M8 lasts 50 years. Hell, I'll be surprised if it lasts five years.

I don't expect my M8 to last fifty years, but you know something?  I hate
using my IIIf. It is a work of art, and I like looking at it, and even
holding it and clicking it. but as a user camera, it just is a pain in the
rear.   I sold my M3 because even though it had a quick load kit it just
wasn't up to usability of my M6.  I traded the M6, because my M7's were more
capable.  I sold the two M7's  because they represented redundancy that the
single M8 could overcome.  Two M7's and a motor-drive M gave me the money to
buy an M8.   I still own my R8 and an MDa, so I haven't gone entirely to the
dark side.

The proof is in the handling, and the pictures.  I'm happy with my M8,
Steve, Steve, Tina Ted, Will, Gene... I'd better stop because I'll leave
someone out, but we are happy with our decisions.

I don't get it.  Why do you and Walt spend so much of your energy deriding
these cameras?   I  don't spend my days writing about how much I hate canned
asparagus as opposed to fresh.

If you don't want one,  don't buy one.  Leave us be.  If we fall into misery
in less than five years, that was our decision.  We didn't arrive at this
place with our eyes closed.

--
Regards,

Sonny