Subject: [Leica] Re: M8-not ready for Prime Time (a long and sorrowful lament)
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun May 6 12:33:43 2007

I don't know what percentage of the LUG owns M8 cameras but a number
of Luggers have complained about glitches, inadequacies, and outright
failures. While it is true that the squeeky wheel gets the most
grease, I too would be more than a little pissed if my long awaited
Leica camera was defective. Arbitrarily assuming that 10% of the LUG
has purchased the M8 and that only a dozen buyers are unsatisfied,
that's a failure rate of about 6%. Far too great for a $5000 prestige
camera.

But why so many complaints about a new digital camera when older
Leicas are cherished for their reliability. It's the difference
between mechanical and electronic product failure characteristics.

If correctly designed and manufactured, mechanical devices fail
primarily as a function of wear, usually expressed as the number of
duty cycles. Back when the M Leicas were introduced, Leica was proud
of the fact that the cameras were designed for 250,000 exposures
while competing cameras were only expected to last 150,000 to 200,000
exposures. But parts rub against each other, springs weaken,
lubrication wears out and use takes its toll. As these processes take
place, performance gradually deteriorates to the point where the user
notices it. End of life is reached when parts can no longer be
adjusted to bring the camera up to specifications. But, except in a
few rare instances (i.e. the camera being dropped on a concrete floor
or submerged in salt water), the cameras fail gracefully and present
few surprises to the user.

Solid state electronic devices, after the initial burn in period,
have a long and indeterminate life span. I say indeterminate because
individual components tend fail randomly as a function of conditions
of operation. The closer to the rated voltage and current limits, the
shorter the MTBF. If the unit is designed conservatively and
components are operated well within specifications, the electronics
can last a long, long time, independent of the number of duty cycles.
But when the electronic device fails, it usually does so abruptly.
One day it works, the next it stops working. There is no graceful
failure here - more like catastrophic.

The M8 is positioned between both groups. It has mechanical parts,
switches, moving optical elements, focus cams, and shutter. It also
has electronics, microprocessor, CCD, LEDs and batteries (which have
a limited life based on the number of recharge cycles). The
mechanicals may fail gracefully, the electronics catastrophically.
Most of the complaints on the LUG are about electronic glitches since
the mechanical elements have not had much of a chance to wear out.

When I worried about hi tech reliability in aerospace equipment for a
living, we had a test and quality control department almost as big as
the engineering department. In fact the engineering department
usually objected to strenuous test and evaluation procedures on the
grounds that no rational person would abuse their precious equipment
or operate it outside of its design limits. But it's hard to repair a
failure on an unmanned space vehicle a million miles from earth. The
equipment was tested in every possible environment and subjected to
both physical and electrical abuse. If something broke it was
redesigned and fixed.

It is apparent that Leica skimped on testing and evaluation before
pushing the M8 out the door. It is a camera clearly designed by
technicians for technicians. I don't need to run through the litany
of problems all of which will be corrected "any time now." They
should have been detected and corrected before the cameras were
shipped. Apparently Leica marketing hoped that buyers would pay a
high entry fee to act as "beta" test evaluators. The only way they
could get away with that strategy is to repair and replace
malfunctioning equipment immediately, studying the failed equipment
to determine its weak spots. Instead broken M8s apparently while away
months in Solms and New Jersey.

In April my dealer lent me an M8 for a week. I didn't experience any
catastrophic failures but the camera did lock up once and required a
battery removal for a reset. If you looked closely there was slight
evidence of banding and magenta shift and the white balance was a but
off. Battery life was much shorter than I am used to on digital
cameras. I could live with all this if the pictures were indeed
exceptional but they didn't appear to be significantly better than
any other high end digital camera (heresy). For me, the joy of using
my Leica lenses on a digital RF camera was not worth the purchase
price. I returned the camera and reluctantly cancelled my order. I'll
wait until the M8.1 or perhaps the M9, hoping that Leica gets it right.

Finally I disagree with the philosophy that you show support for a
company by buying an inadequate product. In business, as in life, you
get what you reward. Hold Leica's feet to the fire and make them
deliver the hoped for "perfect" digital M. In the meantime I continue
to use my highly reliable, predictable, superb quality M3 cameras
with real film. The lenses fit the older cameras just fine.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re: M8-not ready for Prime Time (a long and sorrowful lament))
Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Re: M8-not ready for Prime Time (a long and sorrowfullament))
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Re: M8-not ready for Prime Time (a long and sorrowful lament))