Subject: [Leica] Borrowed M8
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Jan 22 14:24:28 2007

Doug, that's not a camera restriction, it's a software licence restriction
for the program that comes with the camera (free). Other
camera makers will even charge you for the software but the licence
conditions are still similar. There are other commercial
programs available that will read the RAW files from the M8. Their merits
are often discussed here. If you have Photoshop you can
add a free plug-in (Adobe Camera RAW) that will work well.
Alternatively, if you shoot jpegs, any usual graphics program, including
free and cheap ones as well as the auto machines at
photolabs will be able to read the files. For many purposes these files
still do a great job for you. Perhaps this is why your
friend has suggested shooting jpegs while you have the M8 on loan. A good
friend to have, by the way!
Enjoy your privileged loan experience and we look forward to seeing some
pictures posted.

Cheers
Hoppy