Subject: [Leica] Borrowed M8
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon Jan 22 14:58:44 2007

> A friend lent me his M8 and I've taken some photos with it. I shot in RAW.

reasonable decision

> I'd like to download the images, but from what he says, there is a limit
> (two times) to the number of computers one can load the Leica software
> into that came with the camera.

Legally, the software is limited to certain computers, but you can reallocate

> Can this be? Why would I buy a camera that limits where I can download it?
> If I'm in Europe, wants to download photos and my computer is in New York
> City, am I to wait until I return before I can download my photos.

Most of the software programmes can read the stuff and convert it: I use
bridge, but you can do it directly into camera raw in PS.

> My friend advised I shoot in JPEG. Why would I do that? Why would he do
> that? If you buy great equipment, you want your images in the best form
> all the time. You have greater use of them, that way.

Not every shot is great or warrants the work of RAW: converting to jpeg
takes time: I think I will shoot in both most of the time to speed up
filing and storage.

> BTW, can I take the memory chip and have a kiosk print the photos on it?

easy if you shoot in jpeg, and probable in RAW: will depend on the lab

Cheers