Subject: [Leica] Chromogenic Films.....
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sat Jan 13 11:47:21 2007

Frank,

there is little practical difference. There are in fact three films all
400ASA,
Kodak, Fuji, Ilford. As I understand it the Fuji is made by Ilford but ISN'T
XP2. The Kodak and Ilford differ in that the Kodak seems to handle lustrous
surfaces better  (
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album164/LeopardorRollerGoodwood2005.jpg.html

than the Ilford which does however give a denser, possibly "richer" black,
but
whose performance isn't perhaps so uniform as the Kodak. The Fuji is pretty
similar to the Ilford, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Kodak/Ilford comparison here:

BW400CN

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album230/album284/Camelot_120051010.jpg.html

XP2:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album230/album284/Camelot_2XP220051010.jpg.html

Fuji (not same scene):

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/Cars/PhilHillsChaparaal2F200608.jpg.html

All three are can be pushed, pulled and most other things that you might
want to
do and can be processed anywhere generally within one hour. All scan pretty
well.

If anything over the last few years Kodak have improved the quality of the
film.
There is little purply B&W any more, except if the C41 process is misapplied
-
and most minilabs don't do that these days.

That's the selection, now it's up to to you

If you want any more advice please ask.

Peter Dzwig