Subject: [Leica] Chromogenic Films.....
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jan 13 16:02:02 2007

> Remember, my Son has no darkroom and no scanner ( good point on using the
> minilab to make a CD of the images), so it needs to be
> totally turnkey.....
>

> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net

Does he have a printer?

Any bad scan by the roll I've ever worked with usually is fixable in
Photoshop with the new Highlight-Shadow adjustment.

Grabs detail in the highlights and shadows that you'd thought the scan way
missed.

I'm not sure in scanning and if there's a real difference I've ever seen
between the Kodak and the Ilford. I've used lots of Kodak as more places
will have it when I run out and not sometimes the Ilford.
Had I been printing from both in the darkroom I'd tell you image wise how
they both compared. Ignoring the curveball problem with the Kodak with the
color cast.
But in scanning I found it real hard to make comparisons. There are so many
mystical electronic variables. And in Inkjetting. Printing to monitor even.
I'd not be sure what I was comparing.
One could compare a very fortuitous image from bad film against a very
unlucky image from a good film and get the wrong impression.
Things had just gone down badly on the good film.
Goodly on the bad.

As Napoleon said when some film came up to him and wanted to be a
Lieutenant.
"Sure you are good but are you LUCKY!?!?"

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N
73?57'32.37"W