Subject: [Leica] Opinions about Nikor 50mm/1,4 LTM?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Jan 11 19:27:55 2007

At 07:21 PM 1/11/2007, Leonard Taupier wrote:
 >Hi Marc,
 >
 >I have a couple lenses with haze. One is severe, a 400mm f5 Telyt. It
 >makes scanned photos low contrast but as soon as I run auto levels,
 >the pictures from it are sharp as a tack, equaling a couple of my
 >expensive Nikon zooms.
 >
 >Wasn't the coating thing a patent issue with Pentax I believe. Nikon
 >payed and Leica wouldn't.

Get the lens overhauled.  Long-focus lenses are
generally easy to disassemble and clean and a
bottle of ROR or the like costs a pittance.  If
you cannot do it, Van Stelton or his ilk will
meet your needs.  Why have a lens in your arsenal
that is not capable of the best service?

Leitz never produced a 5/400mm Telyt.  They did
produce two different versions, however, of a
5/40cm Telyt.  Which one do you have, the first
or the second?  Erwin Puts and I have fought over
the second generation 5/40cm, which I find a
really grand lens and which he shunts aside in
his own analysis.  I guess that I have a pick of
the chix one, and so be it:  mine is a magnificent lens in my estimation.

Pentax has absolutely nothing to do with the
patent issues on coatings. in the 1950's  Carl
Zeiss held the Smakula vacuum-coating patent
which did not expire until early 1960.  Prior to
that, Leitz had to coat its lenses with  drip
method which left a wet coating.  Firms more
friendly to Zeiss, such as Schneider, Steinheil,
and Voigtl?nder and others had enjoyed the use of the Smakula patent for
years.

Pentax does have something to do with the
development of the parallel Zeiss T* and Pentax
SMC multi-coatings, but that has nothing to do with Leitz.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Opinions about Nikor 50mm/1,4 LTM?)