Subject: [Leica] Opinions about Nikor 50mm/1,4 LTM?
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Thu Jan 11 15:42:18 2007

Luis,

I have the Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens on my Nikon rangefinder S2. I think
it has the same formula as the LTM version. It has much higher
contrast and sharpness then the Summicron collapsible. The 50/1.4 was
introduced in about 1950 and stayed in the rangefinder line until
1958/1960. It may have a little higher contrast than the DR Summicron
but fairly close by my eye. What I like about the early Nikon lenses
is they were not prone to the haze and element scratch problems of
the Leicas. Nikon made this lens to fit on the NiKon and Contax RF
and Leica. Marc James Small is probably the expert here. All the
Nikon RF lenses are becoming hard to find as the best ones are going
to collectors. If you find a good one at a decent price, buy it. It
won't be hard to get rid of if you tire of it.

Len