Subject: [Leica] High ISOs Comparison
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Sat Dec 9 18:45:00 2006
References: <20061206214243.BXP45425@ms03.lnh.mail.rcn.net> <A60E7CFF-A5DD-4A0E-BB3C-7324CEC5BBCA@comcast.net> <7.0.1.0.2.20061207080917.02807240@infoave.net> <43c3d48744166758eda769a953ddebaf@earthlink.net> <45782167.4010301@waltjohnson.com> <ekdhn2h0t93ippsdj85q38rn3628i0hdjr@4ax.com> <4578BCD2.2070801@waltjohnson.com> <e4ihn25nm9sr4jspupdob4qke9q51c6cd2@4ax.com> <4579764C.20602@waltjohnson.com> <iblmn2dv0fv2tr1kp7v06ml6mj4qmsml40@4ax.com>

Eric

That's the biggest reason I shot b&w and do my own film. I've had pro
labs, newspaper labs and drug stores chew up film. Years back I went to
Europe and shot a hell of a lot of Kodachrome. Kodak was still doing it
then and they screwed up  6 rolls for me. I got replacement film and a
letter telling me this hardly ever happens. I wrote them and said my
trip to Paris hardly ever happened either. Maybe digital is the
answer....Do a little after the shoot chimping and hurry home to burn a
CD. I still think the M8 is flawed but maybe a mid range Canon? ;-)

Walt

Eric wrote:

>Walt:
>

>>Get a Nikon Coolscan for $600 and let Walgreens process your film (no
>>prints, process only) for $2.15 a roll. After that, you can decide on
>>color or b&w while sitting in front of your PC. An Epson 1280 for $300
>>will turn out a fine 11x14 and if you get after market inks the print is
>>archival. (whatever that is supposed to mean)  This will let you save
>>$4000 so get a $400 Canon from Target and put away the rest for a nice
>>trip to Vegas. :-)
>>

>The day my local photo store "ate" a roll of film was the day I realized
>that if the pictures were important, I wasn't handing film over to a
>minimum-wage processor.  First pictures of my first child being held by my
>mom...soon after her kidney transplant, which enabled her to live long
>enough to see her grandchild.  Nothing a film credit can't replace.  :)
>
>Since then, I've moved to a smaller town.  (3 million to 150k.)  There just
>isn't a local, reliable photofinisher here.  I tried.  Heck, we can't even
>bring down a building using dynamte:
>http://canid.com/zip_feed_mill/zip_feed_mill_23302.html  :)
>
>I even tried sending my color film off to a pro shop in another town.  That
>worked for a while.  After they used my film to clean the rollers on their
>chairs, I tried another place.  Until they dragged it through
>the-deity-of-your-choice-knows-what.  The last color film I shot was the one
>I spent about 2 hours per finished print meticulously cloning out scratches
>and spotting out dust.  That's when I realized I had to go to digital
>capture to preserve what little sanity I had left.
>
>Just to bring this around to the topic, the higher speed ISO on my Canon 5D
>is so smooth, I don't even hesitate to shoot at 640.  That's a "normal" ISO
>for me.  Looks as good as what I used to get with ISO 100 film:
>
>http://canid.com/current/061209_003.html
>
>Caution:  don't click on thumbnails unless you want to see tons of family
>pics.  These are pretty much straight out of the camera without edits, yet.
>I put pics here for the family, and then later, I'll go back and edit/touch
>up the keepers in photoshop.  These are with a 300/4 + 1.4x.  I wanted to
>play with my new toys.  :)
>
>Realistically, I know I'm not going to buy an M8.  (Unless I come into a lot
>of unexpected found money.  As in winning the lottery.  Except I never play.
>:)  I really hope this succeeds for Leica, though, because I think I'll be
>ready to buy an M10 or M11.  If it's possible to love an inanimate object, I
>love the M series.  My SLRs are just tools.  My M6 is a work of art.
>

>--
>Eric
>http://canid.com/

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)
Message from xrogers at comcast.net (Clyde Rogers) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)
Message from telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)
Message from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)
Message from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)