Subject: [Leica] 6-bit code as installed by Leica
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Sat Oct 28 17:51:12 2006

I think the real reason for the code is not just the immediate
application of identifying the lens in use and maybe image correction
but looking down the road to later lenses and firmware versions that
will identify the aperture in use and maybe allow for auto focus as
well.  It's the first step in M series lens-body communication.