Subject: [Leica] Totally OT: What the HELL is F1 doing?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed Jun 22 00:34:32 2005

Sorry Craig, I don't remember the details but in fact several times
there has been compromise when there has been a problem but it
requires both the FIA to be willing and the agreement of all the
teams. Don't forget that Ferrari did not win the driver's World
Championship for 20 years, despite having the biggest budget by far
all that time. Jean Todt's approach, with drivers driving to orders
and no compromise at the track has brought the success they should
have had all that time, he is unlikely to change his strategy now and
he is entirely entitled to take this approach, like instructing
Barricello to let Schumacher by - it works for him, even if the fans
don't like it.
BTW I am not laying blame on him here, it was a Michelin cock up
followed by a FIA decision which led to the debacle. The FIA are
using attack as the best defence at the moment by blaming the teams
but the teams were left with absolutely no choice at all, Michelin
said they could not vouch for the safety of the tyres (the opposite
in fact) and the FIA did not agree to a change to the circuit - end
of story.
Frank