Subject: [Leica] Totally OT: What the HELL is F1 doing?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Jun 21 10:29:48 2005

Peter,
having heard a bit more today it looks rather like the FIA took on
board what seemed to be the case on first look, that is to say that
maybe some tyres from a different batch (the same specification is
used at Barcelona where the pure loadings are actually higher) run at
a higher pressure would be useable. However they seem to either have
not believed or not totally understood the later developments which
arose as more investigation, including rig tests and x-rays of used
tyres went on. This later data showed that the problem was not
necessarily a batch problem and could not be solved simply by
increasing tyre pressure. In the limited time available a proven
solution could not be found despite practically all the R&D staff of
Michelin both in the USA and France working non stop in the mean time.
It was clear from this later information that the safety of the
drivers, corner workers and spectators could not be guaranteed unless
some sort of compromise on the circuit was met. There are precedents
for this.
The FIA are now circulating outraged press releases which try to lay
the blame for the actual race fiasco elsewhere. Clearly the technical
failure was down to Michelin. The absence of a compromise solution
allowing a race to take place for the spectators was IMHO entirely
due to the FIA refusing to adopt such a compromise. Obviously they
have the power to do this though they have never used it like this
before.
I wonder what the real reason is? Time will probably tell.
Frank