Subject: [Leica] Totally OT: What the HELL is F1 doing?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon Jun 20 12:48:08 2005

I have just got home from the US and can give a view from my
perspective, which contains more facts than I have seen printed so far.

Michelin had a major problem. There were two tyre failures on the
Toyota and several other tyres showed external signs of the onset of
failure on other Toyota and some McLaren tyres. At first it seemed to
be related to tyre pressure and suspension geometry/setting.
Unfortunately following x-ray analysis it was clear that even the
cars who's tyres had no outwards sign of deterioration showed signs
of internal degradation such that a 10 lap old tyre was more like one
that had done a whole event. The design of tyre has been testing and
racing for many thousands of miles so everybody was baffled by the
sudden incidence of the problem. From Friday through 'till Sunday
morning test rigs in France an the US were trying to simulate the
problem without managing to do so. Perhaps it is a manufacturing
problem with this batch of tyres but by race day an explanation had
not been found. It was proposed that, for the benefit of the crowd of
paying spectators, a chicane could be put before the highest load
point allowing the race to go ahead safely and all the Michelin teams
would line up behind all the Bridgestone shod cars and accept being
ineligible for World Championship points. Otherwise it was considered
to be too dangerous to run as a failure would risk the driver and
even perhaps spectators.
This was considered unacceptable by Max Mosely, president of the
governing body, so he instructed Charlie Whiting, the race director,
not to allow it.
It seems to me to have been a "correct" but pig headed, narrow minded
and short sighted decision. We had a World Championship race but the
fans were robbed of a good spectacle, given the offer from the teams
with a Michelin contract the points scored in the race would have
gone to Ferrari anyway, the losers were the paying spectators.

Clearly, the fundamental problem was the Michelin cock-up but this is
a genuine mistake and the reason still a mystery and anybody putting
about any other story is not in possession of the facts. The disaster
could have been ameliorated for the paying spectators but the FIA
excercised their right to insist that no changes should be made to
the race format. This resulted in only the 6 cars with the
Bridgestone tyres taking part.

It should be noted that Max Mosely is a strong advocate of a one tyre
formula for Formula 1 and has been trying for some time to get
agreement to do this. Favourite to win the contract would be
Bridgestone.
FWIW I personally am also in favour of a 1 tyre formula.

Hope this answers some questions.
Frank