Subject: [Leica] Totally OT: What the HELL is F1 doing?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed Jun 22 00:50:55 2005

Gene,
I do not agree about the tyres. The one tyre rule has led to better
racing this year. It is not difficult to make a tyre which can do 250
miles without wearing out. The problem at Indy was a tyre
construction problem, the accidents happened on the lap out of the
pits or the start of the first flying lap, so having tyre change
pitstops would not have helped. Punctures are very rare. Setting the
car up and driving it to look after tyres has always been part of
racing and the one tyre rule allows the smart people to overtake the
dumb ones towards the end of the race. If there is a reduction in
safety due to this rule it is negligibly small. All of the incidents
we have had this season could have equally well have occurred even if
tyres were allowed to be changed. I support this rule because it is
perhaps the only one we have had in the last 10 years which improves
the racing.
Just MHO
Frank