Subject: [Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Jun 7 02:06:00 2005

I'll never forget my English literature teacher at grammar school in my home
town,Leeds in the UK.
Alan Hadfield was an unpreposessing small chap with a beard, and wore baggy
corduroy suits. He proved, to me, that appearances mean absolutely nothing.
He had taught on  South Sea Islands, in the Amazon Basin, crossed the Andes
in a
balloon - so why did he end up in an industrial city in the North of England?
His explanation was that it was his greatest challenge so far,there being
far
more illiterate natives in the cities of his home country, needing
infinitely
more education in the use of their own mother tongue. A true missionary, not
the
word of God but the words of Shakespeare, Browning and Milton.Not stopping
at
the classics, he took us to the island worlds of "Lord Jim", "High Wind in
Jamaica","Lord of the Flies", now I come to think of it he was reliving his
past
in those books. I always remember part of one of his strange little sentence
constructions, this one concerning two, very probably fictitious, young
ladies
whose essays he had corrected:
"Mary, where Jane had had had, had had had had."
There was much more, but this fragment just stuck in my mind.
A wonderful gentleman who was so different from the usual authoritarian 1960s
teachers, he took us on wonderful journeys into, and through, books,
revealing
the hidden mysteries and joys to be found in the printed word.
I'm sure that, without his help and commitment, I would never have found
access
to the books of such brilliant authors as Lawrence Norfolk and Umberto Eco.
Douglas