Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 52/53: Finishing the year
From: max_weisenfeld at verizon.net (Max Weisenfeld)
Date: Thu Jan 6 10:12:41 2005

> Finally, we visited the Jewish cemetery in Wroclaw. The city belonged to
> Germany until 1945, so all graves from the pre-war period were inscribed
> in German (and Hebrew); then a long break, until graves inscribed in
> Polish begin to appear around 1947-48. But the strangest (for me, anyway)
> experience was to look at the World War I memorial, with the names of the
> Wroclaw/Breslau Jews who had fallen on the battlefield, fighting for
> Germany:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_52alt6.jpg

Very moving.  For those not conversant with Hebrew, the verse says, "The
beauty of  Israel is slain in the high places."  It is David's mourning
psalm for Saul and Jonathan.

But, interestingly, I think that it is actually 2 Samuel 1:19, not 1:18.
Would the versification have been different then, or in that place?

Thank you for sharing this photo.

Max