Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 52/53: Finishing the year
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Jan 5 13:22:14 2005

Back from holiday, I am slowly catching up. My last PAW from 2004 takes
us to my hometown in Denmark, ?rhus, and then to the city where I was
born, Wroclaw (Breslau), Poland.

I went to ?rhus just before Christmas to spend a couple of days with my
best friend Lars. However, this trip was different, because I also met
up with some classmates from primary school, whom I had not seen since
the 1970s. The main picture is one of those people. Lone was the
prettiest girl in our class, but unfortunately her heart belonged to
Donny Osmond (we are talking 1976 here, folks!). Here she is, 27 years
later:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_52.jpg

That evening, Lars made pizza for dinner, and his little niece helped
out. Here she's got something on her hands:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_52alt1.jpg

...and here she is disposing of it as a child would do:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_52alt2.jpg

I then went on to Poland. Like some other cities in the former Communist
block, Wroclaw is one big construction zone:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_52alt3.jpg

I spent Christmas and New Year with my sister and her husband. One of
our tasks was to go through my father's photo albums and decide what to
keep--not an easy job:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_52alt4.jpg

During a walk on Wroclaw's central square, Rynek, I spotted these two
ladies in conversation:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_52alt5.jpg

Finally, we visited the Jewish cemetery in Wroclaw. The city belonged to
Germany until 1945, so all graves from the pre-war period were inscribed
in German (and Hebrew); then a long break, until graves inscribed in
Polish begin to appear around 1947-48. But the strangest (for me,
anyway) experience was to look at the World War I memorial, with the
names of the Wroclaw/Breslau Jews who had fallen on the battlefield,
fighting for Germany:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_52alt6.jpg

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2004.html
and comments/critique are always welcome and appreciated. First PAWs of
2005 will be posted tomorrow.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman