Subject: [Leica] Re: MORE THAN... R.I.P. ILFORD
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Mon Sep 6 08:33:43 2004

Other Dan-
I agree with you- the de-colorization of a digital image is great for
generating B&W! I played around with my Leica Digilux Zoom (spent all my
ducats on an M7 so I have to wait a while for the 'biggie'digital!) and
found that by eliminating all but the red channel- that I had a nearly IR
photo. I imagine it was pretty close as the CCD is sensitive to IR in that I
looked at the IR LED on the VCR flinker, and the otherwise invisible beam
shows up as a pale blue in the Digilux viewfinder.
I would be interested to know what the full spectral response might be as
the IR effect of shooting and keeping only the red information works pretty
well.
I did try shooting through a Leitz IR filter (looked about the equivaent of
an 87C- very deep red- and of course got zip, zilch, nada for my effort. :o(

If the future is digital, think of the possibilities of shooting in the UV
and Near UV spectrum, and taking IR photos as a regular course--- I am
pretty sure that folks like astronomers already do this with the CCD devices
they use- The Three College Observatory near here has published some really
neat timed exposures (5 minutes!- sharp with no camera shake!) of deep space
objects outside the visible spectrum. I guess they are 'false' color, but
they are simply beautiful. I can see why amateur astronomy is so popular!

Dan(Wistfully thinking about what Santa might bring...)Post