Subject: [Leica] a new one
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Apr 6 16:14:56 2004

God or Brian will strike me down for falling for this...but I really
can't help myself:

The only reason that the sale and distribution of tobacco products - the
carrier of a drug as addictive as heroin - is legal in this country is
that the tobacco companies have spent literally billions on totally
false advertising and on buying politicians.

Sooner or later we will come to our senses, pay every tobacco farmer
precisely what he or she is now making from growing tobacco to grow
alternative crops or grow nothing, we will pay all tobacco company
workers - not executives - their current weekly pay until they retire -
and we will outlaw the, import, export, sale and distribution of tobacco
products.

Ah, you say, but prohibition was tried and didn't work. Right. But how
many smoker would continue to smoke if they had to pay cocaine-like
prices for cigarettes, and couldn't smoke them anywhere except in their
homes with the shades drawn - in other words, if they could only smoke
between waking and leaving for work, and after returning from work?
Virtually no one. And that would be the end of the entire smoking
controversy.

As to people having sex with other people who are diseased. With rare
exception, most people don't knowingly have sex with people with
diseases. As to eating fats, yah, people will do that and people will
ruin their health. But there is a big difference - normal eating is
essential for life; but there is no such thing as normal smoking.

Face it - people who smoke are drug addicts. And unless you favor the
legalization of all currently illegal narcotic substances, you're being
a hypocrite to whine about smoker's rights and the 'persecution' of
smokers.

End of diatribe.

Last word I will write on this subject.

B. D.