Subject: [Leica] a new one
From: daniel_ridings at yahoo.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue Apr 6 23:29:36 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, B. D. Colen wrote:

> God or Brian will strike me down for falling for this...but I really
> can't help myself:
>
> The only reason that the sale and distribution of tobacco products - the
> carrier of a drug as addictive as heroin - is legal in this country is
> that the tobacco companies have spent literally billions on totally
> false advertising and on buying politicians.

I'll grant you, that's a big reason. Another reason might be that the
stuff was being used before there was an awareness of the damage drugs can
do, any drug. So it was already established on the market when modern
science and medicine caught up with it. Then came the advertising.

I used to smoke 40 a day (about 25 years ago). I've gone over to
"smokeless" tobacco. But I wouldn't be sad to see all of it banned
everywhere in the world. Hand out pistols to those who insist on
committing suicide. Our health insurance costs will fall dramatically
since we won't have to pay for their slow death.

Seriously, ... it's nasty stuff. Costs society huge amounts in medical
costs (which we all, individually, end up paying for in one way or
another).

If they ban the stuff, I'll go cold-turkey. Probably not before ... but
I'm working on it.

> Sooner or later we will come to our senses, pay every tobacco farmer
> precisely what he or she is now making from growing tobacco to grow
> alternative crops or grow nothing, we will pay all tobacco company
> workers - not executives - their current weekly pay until they retire -
> and we will outlaw the, import, export, sale and distribution of tobacco
> products.

It would certainly be a win/win solution. We'd save a bundle with your
proposal.

Daniel