Subject: [Leica] Re: OT - recordable CD's
From: JCB <jcb@visualimpressions.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:48:00 -0800

At 12:33 PM 12/30/2003 -0800, George Hartzell wrote:

>Marc Attinasi writes:
>  > The best advice I have heard was from Reid and it is to store backups
>  > on hard disks. IDE hard disks are cheap and extremely stable. For a
>  > mere $50 you can snap them into a USB or FireWire enclosure, store the
>  > images (or audio, in my case), and then remove them from the enclosure
>  > and file the drive away. [...]
>
>If you're using an enclosure this way, you might want to look at the
>DriveDock stuff that Weibetech makes.   They're naked, and made for
>easy on&off.
>
>   http://www.wiebetech.com/home.html
>
>g.

Don't forget that a hard disk IS magnetic media. Magnetic media decays over
time. A hard disk, even if stored in a perfect climate controlled
environment, will exhibit magnetic bit rot. As of right now, today, there
is nothing digital that will store files, music, or photographs, as long as
analog media. File folders in file drawers, LP/45/78 records (not analog
tape), and film.

All current digital media dies over a relatively short time period as
compared with its analog counterpart. And, don't forget that technology
changes may make that digital media that you stored away today, unable to
be read back tomorrow. I still have some double sided 8" floppies with
files on them. Neither do I have an 8" floppy drive (Shugart 851) nor would
the data still be there if I had a drive. Likewise with the 5-1/4 floppies
that I have. I have a 5=1/4 drive but at least 25% of the floppies are
unreadable because of magnetic bit rot.

Just be aware of the potential future problems and plan ahead.

JB

Replies: Reply from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: OT - recordable CD's)
Reply from JCB <jcb@visualimpressions.com> ([Leica] Re: Re: OT - recordable CD's)
Reply from JCB <jcb@visualimpressions.com> ([Leica] Re: Re: OT - recordable CD's)