Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: OT - recordable CD's
From: Marc Attinasi <attinasi@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:47:22 -0800

Laser-etched gold disks are the most archival digital format today.
They will last every bit as long as their analog counterpart, the
gold-cast LP record, like the one sent up with Voyager.

Me I only need to keep stuff a few decades, after that I doubt anyone
will care if they are lost because I'll be too demented to work the
computer anyway.

Anyway, it is common knowledge that all real photographic art is
produced in gelatin silver anyway, so that should last a hundred years
or so, assuming we can learn to control fire a little better. In the
fires around here recently a friend lost their place - all their stuff
gone, photos, music discs, everything, including a bronze Remington
statue that was reduced to ashes. Talk about bit-rot!

Cheerfully Yours,
- - marc

[snip]

Message from SIUASU@aol.com ([Leica] OT - recordable CD's)