Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica IIIc - First RF?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:22:01 -0400

At 07:28 AM 6/29/03 +0200, Nathan Wajsman (private) wrote:
>Again, keep in mind that I was speaking from the point of view of giving
>advice to a rangefinder newbie, not a hard-core Leicaphile. In that
>context, a modern Cosina/Voigtländer Bessa R2 is vastly superior to any
>Leica LTM camera for the following reasons:
>
>- it is new, hence no need to worry about CLA
>- no need to use separate windows for composing and focusing
>- a built-in light meter
>- a better viewfinder than any LTM Leica except perhaps the IIIg (but
>then we are talking M6 prices anyway)
>- ability to use M mount lenses
>- much easier film loading
>- no need to use external finders with the most common focal lengths
>
>Just about the only disadvantage for the Bessa R2 is that the shutter is
>not as buttery smooth and quiet as on a well-worn Leica. But for a
>novice that disadvantage is more than compensated for by the advantages
>listed above.

Well, those may be advantages to you, Nathan, but they are not necessarily
so for me.  Again, my very first RF camera was a IIIc and from it I learned
the basics of RF work.  There are no shortcuts to the education you receive
from using a precision but unmetered camera.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Slobodan Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica IIIc - First RF?)