Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica IIIc - First RF?
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:28:55 +0200

Marc,

Again, keep in mind that I was speaking from the point of view of giving
advice to a rangefinder newbie, not a hard-core Leicaphile. In that
context, a modern Cosina/Voigtländer Bessa R2 is vastly superior to any
Leica LTM camera for the following reasons:

- - it is new, hence no need to worry about CLA
- - no need to use separate windows for composing and focusing
- - a built-in light meter
- - a better viewfinder than any LTM Leica except perhaps the IIIg (but
then we are talking M6 prices anyway)
- - ability to use M mount lenses
- - much easier film loading
- - no need to use external finders with the most common focal lengths

Just about the only disadvantage for the Bessa R2 is that the shutter is
not as buttery smooth and quiet as on a well-worn Leica. But for a
novice that disadvantage is more than compensated for by the advantages
listed above.

Nathan