Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Neopan 1600 developers
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:12:52 +0100

Hi Mark,

Actually, I do not think the negatives are underdeveloped. On the
contrary, they may be slightly overdeveloped, since as you mention, they
are properly exposed (there is shadow detail where I want it) but the
highlights are too dense. I used the 13.5 minutes someone mentioned as a
starting point but reduced is to 13 minutes since I use a Jobo. Next
time I will try even less time, 12.5 or even 12 minutes. In general, I
find that I need to reduce the times given in the film data sheets to
compensate for the continuous agitation. For example, my time for Delta
100 is 15 minutes, and for Fuji Acros 13.5 to 14 minutes, both in XTOL
1+3 at 20C. Both of these times are shorter than what the data sheets
suggest.

Also keep in mind that my negatives are primarily destined for scanning.
And since the scanner (in my case LS-2000) has more difficulty coping
with very dense film (i.e. shadows in slides and highlights in
negatives), this calls for less development in the case of negatives and
more generous exposure in the case of slides.

Nathan

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>>From my experience, Nathan it seems to me that you have properly exposed
> but slightly under developed negs.
> Just run it at 15 next time and your highlights should separate a bit
> better from your shadows then they are now.
>
> Its my opinion that when any exalted one or thing gives you a
> development time it is only a starting time for YOU.
>
> If your negs are printable from that first run then that's pretty good
> and actually I kind of expect at least that.
> But from that first batch you then adjust for your own darkroom set of
> variables: water temperature (thermometer) and impurities, agitation,
> global positioning and so on. Your darkroom and technique needs a
> different time usually by a minute or two or more. And after a week or
> so I'll end up tweaking the time again after I've had even more
> experience with the stuff.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland