Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Neopan 1600 developers
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:59:40 -0800

drb@MIT.EDU wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I have had excellent luck with Delta 3200 and Rodinol.  I expose at 1600 and
> develop for a bit longer than the suggested time.  Rodinol isn't mentioned
> on the official Delta 3200 datasheet (link below), but it's on the
> digitaltruth massive dev. chart (link also below).  The chart says 9:00 at
> 20C and 1:25, but I give it 9:30 and the results are usually great.  I can't
> find scans of any of anything I have shot like this, but next time I'm in
> the darkroom I'll dig through my negs and throw a frame or two up on the
> net.
>
> --Dan
>
> Ilford Delta 3200:  http://www.binbooks.com/books/photo/ic?l=5E116AF7D6
> Massive Dev. Charts:  http://www.digitaltruth.com
>
> PS- Thanks for the tip about Neopan.  I shoot for the MIT Tech and we stock
> Delta 3200 for available dark work.  I'll relay the message to the darkroom
> manager and maybe we can save a bit of money.

Hi Dan a correction I just meant before to say it's been my delightful
experience that Neopan 1600 compares so well against D76 1:1 in Tri X.
Not "Delta."

On your thing above a reviewer in one of the smarter photo magazines
about 15 or 20 years ago said Rodinal at 1:25 looked identical to D 76
1:1. Not a bad thing but not what we use Rodinal for. The 1:50 dilution
will bring out the extra sharpness of Rodinal and edge effects which
make things appear sharp (like unsharp mask). But even though it is not
listed plenty of people use it at 1:100 for the maximum sharpness and so
on. This dilution also imparts a glow to the highlights with says
"Rodinal at 1:100"  For a while i compromised on 1:75 (no glow but
better grain) and i found out other friends of mine here in Portland
were doing the same.

The more dilute the more time developing but it seems to work out alright.

Also dilution does not make you loose film speed in most cases as you
would think. It's usually a case of a constant or even added film speed
because of the whole film compensation thing. If you've heard of that.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] OT Neopan 1600 developers)