Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Doesn't ALL Leica gear originate from a "Leica Authorized Dealer"????? - Was International warranty...
From: Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:34:09 -0800

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 3:08 AM
Subject: [Leica] Re: Doesn't ALL Leica gear originate from a "Leica
Authorized Dealer"????? - Was International warranty...

> Andrew:
>
> >I beg to differ. Let me use an extreme example.  Leica USA has a  plant
and
> >infrastructure costs to support the marketing, sales, and service  of
Leica
> >Cameras as well as support their dealers, through such events as Leica
Days.
> >That costs lots of money, folks, especially when you're located in North
> >Jersey.
>
> How is any of that the customer's problem?
It's not if you buy from Leica USA or from an authorized Leica Dealer.
Remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch.  If Leica didn't follow
this policy, it would operate at a loss.  I don't know about you, but if you
owned a business that was operating at a loss, how long would you stay in
business?  I know I wouldn't.  If the cost of warranty repaired is not
covered by the accompanying revenue from the sale, Leica USA would operate
as a loss center.  It wouldn't be there for long.   In any well managed
business service follows sales.  Leica AG manufactures, but Leica USA sells
it, through it's dealer network.  Part of this policy is the necessity,
which I mentioned earlier to control warranty fraud.  Part of the reality of
doing business.  In an ideal world, fraud wouldn't happen.  So, in the real
world where it does happen, business rules need to factor that in.

We're not talking about support.
> We're talking about warranty repairs.  Which means that Leica has screwed
up
> and shipped a camera with manufacturing defects.

How many mechanical objects in the world with about a thousand moving parts
don't have mechanical failures?  I marvel at how few failures of Leica gear
there are.  Leica AG may be responsible for

(I'm not talking about
> Leica USA's passport warranty.  That's an extended warranty, and if you
want
> that, then you need to buy one imported by Leica USA.)
>
> I somewhat understand how Leica is organized.  I understand why Leica USA
> might want to balk at doing warranty repairs.  I don't understand why they
> think that's good customer service for Leica.  I've yet to see any
> explanation here that can explain how giving a customer with a bum camera
> the runaround is good customer service.  I don't care how much Leica or
> Leica or Leica pays its employees or has to pay for its infrastructure.  I
> don't care if they use employees or contractors.  Those are all internal
> business decisions.  All I care about is how I'm treated as a customer.

If you're a customer of Leica USA or, of any authorized dealer in the world
then you can expect to be treated as a good customer.  If you a customer of
an intermediary Grey market dealer then you pays your maney (less of it) and
takes your chances.

If you buy from the organization that is responsible for servicing you then
you have the right to expect good service from them.  If you didn't, then
it's unrealistic for you to expect it.