Subject: Re: [Leica] Rebates
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 15:46:51 -0400

I think that rebates, especially as used in the camera business, have
more to do with currency fluctuations than with prices actually going
down because of reduced costs of materials, etc.

I have no doubt that the current rebates are being driven by the
strength of the dollar versus the Euro. But if Leica lowered the price
to reflect today's exchange ratio, what would they do if, in six months,
the situation reversed itself? Nobody would sit still for the company
raising prices when the cost of most other manufactured goods is seeing
consistent declines. As a result, sales would probably stall.

With a rebate, they just remove the rebate and the price goes back to
"normal".

I believe this also accounts for some rebates being extended, seemingly
indefinitely. This is because the currency fluctuation is only moving in
one direction, and lately that has been toward a stronger dollar.

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |      Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |      96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |      New York, NY 10014

Message from "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Rebates)
Message from "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com> (Re: [Leica] Rebates)
Message from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] Rebates)
Message from "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net> (Re: [Leica] Rebates)