Subject: [Leica] Testing macro lenses - thoughts on methodology ?
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 11:20:44 +0530

The only arbiter is the print when seen in daylight - which is the same no
matter where we live.

On the computer screen there is too much difference on how the monitor is
set up, whether it is calibrated or not and the colour space used when
processing and posting. No two of us see the same image.

I have been taking part in print exchanges for close to 20 years now, and
we have members who only use the Iphone - the exchanges are A4/Letter size,
and I just cannot make out the differences in prints of that size - of
course, they have been processed for printing just like any other image. In
fact, I just have never been able to discern any difference in prints of
that size between camera systems either. I am talking from a sample size of
2000+ original prints, and rising at 20 prints a month. My view is that ALL
manufacturers' systems nowadays deliver results far superior to my inherent
ability, so there is no point in sweating the hardware.

The only critical factor in my view is how the ergonomics fit each
individual person, so that taking the photograph becomes instinctive. There
is no right and wrong choice here, just a preference. My weapon of choice
is Nikon, a system I have been using since 1965. YMMV.

Richard Man has started a LUG print exchange, and the first quarterly
exchange has just ended. If anyone is really interested in finding out the
differences, if any, between systems, in print, I encourage them to take
part next quarter.

Cheers
Jayanand